Square by square, story by story, you can join the growing community of Californians celebrating hopeful acts.
We are an open-minded, open-hearted state. There’s plenty of room on the quilt for every kind of story of personal resilience and climate action. So what’s yours?
Why is KneeDeep Times, a monthly magazine, getting into quilting?
Because we recognize the authenticity of local knowledge and community storytelling. When our journalists pitch and write stories for KneeDeep, they have to follow certain rules of the trade. But there are a thousand other ways to tell stories, and a thousand more untold, unheard stories. We have the platform, and the tools to share.
So get busy!
Email your short stories, poems, films, art pieces, cartoons, maps, and more to firstname.lastname@example.org. And reach out if you need any help — our reporters can lend a pen or snap a photo. Need inspiration? Check out the BLUE box below.
Where’s the Quilt? JUST CLICK THE LOGO!
NEED SOME INSPIRATION?
What are the little things you do to help the planet stay green? It could be as simple as swapping your lightbulbs, taking shorter showers, or choosing paper over plastic. Maybe you’ve changed parts of your lifestyle, like switching to solar, purchasing a hybrid vehicle, or taking to the humble bicycle. Small or large, what do you do to contribute?
Have you noticed anything new in your neighborhood? Perhaps you’ve seen some new trees, some purple pipes for recycled water, a bike lane, a plaque on a building showing it’s sustainable construction? Take a photo? Describe it? Why does it resonate with you?
Do you have any fresh ideas that could help mitigate climate change? Do you have a pet peeve you can’t believe that nobody has tried to address? What is a problem you think you could solve with innovation or thinking outside the box, and your solution?
IS THERE HISTORY?
Who do you know with a lived-experience of climate change? Do you have a friend or relative who has experienced a fire or flood or other extreme firsthand? What did they lose? What did they learn? How did they adapt?
THAT SPECIAL PLACE?
Do you have a favorite local park or landmark that helps you feel close to nature? Find out how is it going to be affected by climate change. Are you doing anything to cherish and protect it? Can you snap a pic or make a sketch?
FOLLOW THE JOY
What simple sight gives you hope? A change of the seasons, a caterpillar on a walk, the beauty of fresh in season tomatoes, people gathering to show resilience? Can you describe it? Sketch it? Film it?
Share Your Story,
Add Your Quilt Square
We accept short stories, poems, films, art pieces, cartoons, maps, and more. The story must be from Californians about California. We especially welcome Bay Area stories from residents of all ages and backgrounds.
To submit either:
- Email [email protected]
- Tag us on Instagram for your story to be featured in the quilt.
Nitty Gritty Guidelines
- Try to capture the essence of your image within a square shape. The quilt is made of square patches.
- Send images of at least 1000 x 1000 pixels in diameter.
- Set your phones to HR – high resolution – when snapping photos.
- Feel free to share pictures of yourself or your subject taking action.
- 300-400 words is perfect, but longer stories are also welcome.
- Be specific about your feelings and actions.
- Ask yourself what your actions have to do with climate change.
What to submit
- Suggested title
- Your preference to use your full name or only first name.
- Your city
- Your email address (for the editor’s use only)
- The quilt editor may copyedit your story for clarity, length, and punctuation.
- The editor may also send you questions about your story to resolve.
- KneeDeep reserves the right to reject inappropriate stories or materials,
- We will always check with you first before actual publication.